Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Tales of the Calculating Bat

Well, I think I have the SciCalc app working right for the iPhone. I just got the Algebraic mode grafted on, and I think it's good, but I usually use an RPN calculator, so I could use independent verification that it's working right. Particularly with regards to operator precedent with operators like yx, x√y, etc.

You can also try it out with Firefox or Safari 3 beta, but it looks kinda ugly on anything but an iPhone, as I haven't bothered to add CSS for browsers with bigger fonts.

You can find it at http://scicalc.belfry.com/

Let me know any comments you may have on usability, bugs, etc. Please ignore the button spacing, though.


( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
Jul. 7th, 2007 05:24 am (UTC)
Stopped responding to input after one test, but I'm using a rather old copy of Mozilla, so that's par for the course.

Ran into the "text clipped" ugliness, but it sounds like you're on top of that already.

Emulate a TI-81, and I'll be impressed };>. And I'll port over my old picture-drawing code.

Jul. 7th, 2007 05:46 am (UTC)
What test locked it up for you?
Jul. 7th, 2007 06:51 am (UTC)
Clicked "RPN" to change it to non-RPN mode, with argument 0 showing. Clicked "log", resulting in "error" (correct). Clicked "clear", then tried "3" "y^x" "5", with no response from these buttons. Clicked "Alg", which returned it to RPN mode, but still no response from other buttons.

Problem was duplicated just now, so it seems to be repeatable.

Quite possibly my browser, but it's also possible that the calculator got stuck in a wierd state.

Jul. 7th, 2007 08:48 am (UTC)
I can't reproduce this on the phone, so it may be the browser.
Jul. 7th, 2007 08:11 am (UTC)
TI-81 sucks! HP 48GX forever! ;)
Jul. 7th, 2007 08:44 am (UTC)


I fear writing a symbolic calculus library in javascript.


Graphing code might be fun, though.
( 6 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

February 2018

Page Summary


  • 17 Oct 2011, 19:18
    Clever! ^_^
  • 7 Oct 2011, 08:38
    Was each link made from two pieces, or was there fill material inside that you removed? I'm having trouble seeing how to print these in a makerbot-compatible way (though I could just be overlooking…
  • 5 Oct 2011, 22:40
    Nah. It'd just take a dissolvable support material and higher resolution. There are commercial 3d printers out there that can print ball bearing assemblies in one pass, fully assembled.
  • 5 Oct 2011, 18:46
    Nice! ^_^ I was going to be flabbergasted if you were actually able to print it as a unit, but I guess that would take antigravity.
  • 5 Oct 2011, 18:19
    I printed each piece individually and assembled them after some cleanup. I did print four segments at a time, though, unattached, in a 2x2 grid.
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner